Swamp Cooler
Master Bedroom

About the Photo Sequence
I need to cool the master bedroom over night so I can sleep. No need to cool the entire house. This documents the install evaporative cooler install.

Photo Details
This photo sequence contains 17 frames. Each landscape frame is a finite 1366 pixels wide but height was left to its own based on the crop. Portrait frames are vertically limited to 1000 pixels. I based the picture size on an email program's display window asuming that the picture would not be automatically resized to fit. This technique kept the file size down, the largest being 672k making it easy to send and receive through email. All photos were taken with a Nikon D810 or a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Download Photo Project

2020-04-SwampCooler.zip - 9956328 bytes.

Swamp Cooler
Master Bedroom

Summer is on it's way. I don't want to cool the entire house just to get a good night's sleep.
I picked up a compact window swamp (evaporative) cooler and installed it in the wall.

The power consumption is documented, but I measured it with a meter, too.
The documents were correct.

After measuring, I cut the hole in the wall.
I was careful to cut the hole smaller than necessary to leave room for fine tuning.

After removing the wall panel and some insulation, I had to frame the hole, much like a window.
The header will support the 2x4 stud I had to cut.

With the hole cut, it's time to build the support structure.
The intent is for the top surface to be level
and not quite as wide as the base all the way around.

The measurements here were intense!
The support has to be 6 3/4" from the wall.
Laterally, the wall was marked where the sides of the cooler will sit.

The next step was to run the wire from the circuit box.
Since code calls for all major appliances to be on their own circuit
and I didn't want that ugly wire (for an outlet) hanging from it,
I spent some time in the attic running the wire from a new breaker.

Back to the support. The height is important.
Just behind the face of the cooler vent (inside) are two flanges that will sit flush with the drywall.
Too high and the top flange isn't flush.
Too low and the bottom flange isn't flush.
I used a left over floor board.
The height was perfect.
The level is perceft.
Horizontal placement is perfect.

Looking good inside, too!

Now for the water.
I hooked it to the misting system water source, to a ball valve, to a hose-connector-to-1/4" pipe adapter.
I used a 90 degree elbow to keep the 1/4" pipe from sticking out too far.

I placed a 3/4" PVC elbow and pipe to protect it. I had to use epoxy to glue it in place.

Outside trim matches the windows on the house.
Under the trim is a water seal caulk. Moisture will NOT penetrate this hole.

Outside, it looks like it belongs there.

The interior trim is in place but I might repaint it the wall color.
In the winter, I'll need something to seal the fan hole.
I built this to insert and seal. I used the fuzzy half of Velcro.

It has a handle.
As soon as the art stores open up again (Covid-19 Lockdown), I'll cover the plywood with gray felt.

Notice the little handle on the left of the cover.
I couldn't get my fingers behind it to pry it loose.
The handle is made from two dowels and boxing tape.

It works well and when the humidity reduces to the 25% range or lower, it'll be better yet!